Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The First Days

I´m at a internet cafe right now in the village where I´m staying. Everything is going pretty okay. I learned today that I am in the language group Intermediate-Mid, which is actually the level we have to reach after training in order to qualify to become a Volunteer. My host family is really nice and I have two little sisters and one little brother, which makes things a little easier because I can just play with them and they teach me words. Although I´m nowhere near where I want to be with my Spanish skills, I´m realizing that I can actually get by with what I know. And everyday I feel more confident, even though I continue to say things incorrectly. But it´s better to say something that´s wrong than say nothing at all. At least then my host family can correct me. They have had 5 or so Volunteers stay with them in the past so they have an idea of what to expect from Americans and are very patient with me. I think I´m really going to like them- actually, I already do. Training is long. We meet at the Training Center, which is about a half hour´s walk from my house, every morning at 8, and we have classes of different sorts until 5pm, then we walk home. After Training my brain is fried, so the last thing I want to do is go home and speak only in Spanish, but Í have to or I won´t learn anything and it is considered rude to be in your room the whole time. So, about my host family. My mom is Señora Alena, and her husband is El Señor. I can´t remember his name, whoops. They have many children who are grown and have kids, and they all live close by, one family even lives in the upstairs of our house. One of my parent´s daughters died a few years ago so they now take care of her children, Amir, 8, and Alysa, 5. Their cousin, Kenia, 9, is also at our house all the time because her parents work strange hours. My dad teaches at a local school, and  I think my mom works at a school as well, but I´m not too sure about that.
 
The food... well, I´m eating a lot of rice and a lot of potatoes. I also get chicken, eggs, and some fruit. The food is all tasty, but I can already tell you that I will be tired of rice and potatoes within a week! Guess it´s something I have to get used to! I haven´t had any stomach problems yet, cross your fingers that I won´t. But the medical staff here assures us that every single one of us will have diarrhea a LOT, and that 99% of us will poop our pants at some point. That seems to be all they talk about, haha! >They keep telling us that we will all openly be talking about bodily functions within the week... We actually have a pool going, and the last person to poop in their pants or the person who doesn´t do it at all wins the pot. Each of us put in 2 soles, so it´s a pretty hefty pot! Here´s hoping I don´t poop in my pants!!
 
I haven´t had a breakdown yet, so thank goodness for that. This transition seems to be much easier than the one I had in Spain. The PC staff are taking good care of us and help us with whatever questions or concerns we have. I know hard times are to come, but for now I´m feeling pretty alright. My main concern is my Spanish, obviously, and the COLD SHOWERS. I have come to the conclusion that I will not be completely clean for my entire stay in Peru. The water is so cold that it´s physically impossible to stay in the shower longer than 3 minutes. I have learned to wash one limb at a time, and as fast as possible. I will say this though, the cold water is definitely a good way to wake up in the morning!
 
Peru is the most beautiful country I have ever been in. Everything is so pretty. There area I´m in right now is nestled in the mountains and it only rains 2 or 3 times a year, yet everything is green and thriving. I can´t get over the view from my patio. There is a huge rushing river right outside my patio and it´s breathtaking, especially with the mountains in the background. The training center is best described as a jungle oasis. It´s absolutely beautiful. I will take some pictures and put them on here when I can.

OH! If you just so happen to want to send me care packages, DO NOT SEND A BOX! The box will go through customs and most likely end up costing me lots of money to actually receive it. A padded envelope is best. :)

Well, my time is limited so I need to go. Miss you all, love you even more.

3 comments:

  1. So proud of you and excited for you! I hope you enjoy your time in Peru!
    - Molly Tucker

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say, I love that your second post is about poop...a girl after my own heart :) Miss you friend! Love hearing all about your new, amazing life!

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsey--I liked reading your first blog post since being in Peru! It is very tiring going home to a host family and having to speak Spanish after a verrry long day. I'm sure I spent too much time in my room during training!

    Your Spanish will continue to improve, and it's a great feeling being able to converse at ease. I've been in Peru a year, and my Spanish is still improving a lot.

    I didn't have stomach problems until I moved to site, and it wasn't until a few months ago that I pooped in my pants! Bodily functions (specifically, diarrhea) are still a hot topic among us 15ers, and it's just like talking about the weather.

    I feel you on the cold showers! I only showered once every two or three days during training. Lima is cold during these months! But then again, I'm in Piura and am used to sweating my butt off every day. I actually look forward to the cold showers! It's all relative, I suppose.

    Anyway, keep blogging, and I'll keep reading! I read on your Facebook that you're missing the States today. Training was pretty rough for me, but it always helped to talk to someone from home. If you make it through training and the first three months at site, you can do anything! I promise that if you stick with it, you'll continue falling in love with this beautiful country and its people! Don't hesitate to e-mail me for anything! I'm here for you =)

    ReplyDelete