Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Then and Now


One year.  12 months.  52 weeks.  365 days.  8,760 hours.  525,600 minutes.  31,536,000 seconds. 

That’s how long I’ve been in Peru.  That’s how long it’s been since I’ve been home.  That’s how long it’s been since I’ve seen my family and friends (except for Kristen and Edna!).  That’s how long it has been since I have been able to speak English in my house. 

It’s hard to believe that it has already been a year; that I am almost halfway done with my service.  There were times when I never thought I’d make it to a year.  In the beginning a year seemed so far away; then it began to loom in the distance where I could see it.  And then all of the sudden, it hit me.  One year.  I have made it an entire year in another country, living a completely different lifestyle than the one I was used to.  I’ve managed to make friends, meet tons of new people, start some projects, and make a name for myself in my little community.  I still have a ways to go in terms of my service, but I’m proud that I’ve made it a year.

Over the past year a lot of things have changed.  Things within me have changed, and things outside of my control have changed as well.  As a sort of tribute to the last year, I’m going to make a list of some of those changes.

Then: I could barely hold a comprehensive conversation in Spanish.
Now:  I’m teaching classes, communicating with my community counterparts, speaking with my host family, and making friends- all in Spanish.

Then:  I thought to myself, “Why didn’t that Peruvian woman wait until her hair was at least a little dry before she left the house?”
Now:  “Dang, I wish I’d showered right before I left.  That Peruvian woman in front of me looks so fresh and cool.”

Then:  Obama was President of the United States.
Now:  Obama is still President of the United States, though this could change with the upcoming elections.

Then:  I was obsessed with tie-dye.
Now:  I’m still obsessed with tie-dye, and so are the people in my site.

Then:  I was appalled whenever I would see men peeing on the side of the road/ on the sidewalk/ on the tree/ on the building in front of me.
Now:  I’m still appalled, but now I count how many I can see in a day.

Then:  I was terrified of living and working in Peru.
Now:  I love living and working in this country.  (Most of the time).

Then:  I hardly ever brushed my hair.
Now:  I still hardly ever brush my hair, only now it’s okay because I’m a Peace Corps Volunteer.

Then:  I didn’t think I would ever be able to make it to a year.
Now:  I DID make it to a year, and I KNOW I can make it to the next one.

Then:  I missed my family and friends every single day.
Now:  I still miss my family and friends every single day.  But now I have a real host family and friends in site to help me deal with it.

Then:  I wasn’t a huge fan of white rice.
Now:  I find myself craving a big ol’ plate of rice if I haven’t had one in a while.

Then:  I didn’t really enjoy Peruvian music.
Now:  I can’t get enough of it and love belting it out at the top of my lungs.

Then:  I thought that Machu Picchu was all that Peru had to offer.
Now:  I could talk for hours about the different wonders and sites that this beautiful country encompasses. 

Then:  I would sweat nards every time I walked outside my door.
Now:  I still sweat nards every time I walk outside my door.

Then:  I counted down the days until I could leave my site.
Now:  I still get anxious sometimes, but I enjoy being in site and spending time with the people that live here.

Then:  I did not like Peru and could not wait to be back in the United States.
Now:  I love this crazy country and know that I will miss it when I move back home.

Then:  27 months seemed an impossible task.
Now:  I’ve made it a year, and now I only have a little over a year left.

Then:  I didn’t know how to cut my own hair.
Now:  I still don’t know how to cut my own hair, but that hasn’t stopped me yet.  :-/

 Then:  I hated Peruvian television shows.
Now:  I still hate Peruvian television shows- except for Al Fondo Hay Sitio.

Then:  I barely knew any of my fellow Peru 17ers.
Now:  I can’t imagine what life would be like without them.

Like I said, a lot has changed in the past year.  I can’t wait to see what the next year brings.  Here’s to another 365 days, Peru!

“All the really exciting things in life require more courage than we currently have- a deep breath and a leap.  See, the kind of fear you’re talking about… sometimes it’s how you know what’s worthwhile.”
                            
-- Jack, Dawson’s Creek

No comments:

Post a Comment