Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Paro en Paita

"Strike in Paita"

Because of a strike in Paita (the town I must go through in order to get to my site), I am stuck in Piura until at least Thursday of this week.  The fishermen in Paita are striking over the prices of fish, and they have completely paralyzed Paita- no cars coming or leaving.  Vehicles that try to operate are faced with angry Peruvians who sometimes resort to violence.  Because of this, Peace Corps has recognized it as a safety precaution and aren't allowing me to travel back to site.  Thank goodness Kyle, who lives in the site next to mine, is stuck here too.

I've been here since this weekend.  I came in to do a few errands, celebrate a couple birthdays, and get some supplies for projects I'm trying to start.  I had no idea I'd be stuck here for almost a week.  Usually I wouldn't be complaining about staying at the hostel on the Peace Corps' dime, but I actually had concrete things planned for this week: meetings to start projects, plans to look at new houses to live in, and quality El Arenal time.  I feel like I've been out of site so much for the past few weeks because of trainings and vacation.  For once I'm anxious and ready to be back at site.

Since I'm stuck here with not a whole lot to do, I decided to finally take some time to upload pictures to my Picasa Web album.  Check out the link on the right side of my blog to view pics from the last couple months.



“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.”
                             -- Helen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment