Monday, October 24, 2011

Itsy Bitsy Spider

I’ve never hated spiders.  The sight of their eight hairy legs or beady little eyes never sent me into a fit of hysterics or the desperate need to flee the room.  The only time I've been genuingely scared of a spider is when I was watching "Honey I Shrunk the Kids."  That’s not to say that I’ve ever wanted to hug one and play fetch and live happily ever after- because I haven’t.  I’ve killed my fair share of spiders because I didn’t want them crawling around and ending up in my mouth while I was sleeping.  I’ve just never been disgusted by them.  I guess you could say I’ve always felt indifferent about spiders.
Of course, that was before I moved to Peru- a country that can boast beautiful mountaintops, flawless coastlines, undiscovered jungles, and one of the Seven Wonders of the World.  And mosquitoes.  Lots and lots of mosquitoes.  In fact, I’m almost positive that my quaint little town houses over half of the mosquitoes in the entire world.  And of those mosquitoes in my town, nearly 80% of them make their home in my bathroom.  Another 10% are always trying to find their way into my room, and the other 10% follow me around when I’m outside past 6:00pm.  Mosquitoes are taking over my life.
Unlike spiders, mosquitoes and I have never had a… pleasant… relationship.  In fact, I’ve despised mosquitoes ever since the very first one bit me with its disgusting little tentacles when I was a young girl.  Add to the fact that every bite I’ve had the pleasure of receiving has transformed itself into an itchy squid or octopus, and I think it’s safe to say our relationship has been anything but pleasant.  Yes, mosquitoes and I have a love-hate relationship.  They love to bite me, and I hate it.  If I never saw another mosquito until the day I died, it would be too soon. 
So, because of my obvious resentment to mosquitoes and their presence in my new abode, I no longer have indifferent feelings towards spiders.  No, now I have a much stronger feeling towards the little creatures.  In fact, I think I might actually love spiders now.  The fact that their little webs can end the life of even just one disgusting mosquito brings me much comfort.  That’s one less mosquito bite that I have to worry about.  Yes, I’ve found a new love.  And I can guarantee you that I will no longer kill any spiders that I see, but instead, smile and say “Weave on little buddy, weave on.”


How fitting is this picture?  I found it on facebook minutes before posting this.  I have the greatest friends in the entire world.


No comments:

Post a Comment