Thursday, August 4, 2011

Livin' La Vida Piura

The past 8 weeks of mystery have finally become clear… I now know where I will be spending my next two years! Drum roll please….. PIURA! Piura is the northern most Department of Peru in which YD Volunteers are sent.  I can’t legally write my town name on here, but I can tell you that I am about an hour and a half from the capital city and about an hour a half from the beach.  The town is a booming metropolis of 500 people.  Although it’s really small it seems to be pretty up to date.  My information says that I will have access to internet, radio, tv, telephone, and cell phone coverage.  My house is apparently made of brick and I have electricity and water for 24 hours a day, which is way better than I was expecting.  I also have indoor plumbing, thank goodness!  I know I haven’t seen anything yet, but everything seems like it’s going to be pretty good.  My new host family consists of a father, mother, a 34 year-old sister, and her 14 year-old daughter.  It will be a huge difference from my host family here in which I have 3 small children running around all the time!  It looks like I’m going to have plenty of work to do because my town has  never had a Volunteer before.  I’ll post more info after my site visit this next week!
Here's a map of Piura.  My site is west of Piura City.  If you want the info on my town you can either email me or ask my parents!


No comments:

Post a Comment